Revealed: One of the Austin Shooting Spree Suspects is an Illegal with an ICE Hold
May 21, 2026
The Gateway Pundit reported that over the weekend, residents in the Austin, Texas area were asked to shelter in place amid reports of multiple shootings.
The Austin Police Department says at least three suspects were involved in as many as 12 shootings since Saturday.
Two of the shootings were at fire stations in South Austin.
At least four people were reported injured.
Police announced that 17-year-old Cristian Mondragon has been charged with six felonies, with more charges possible, including: Two counts of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle; Two counts of aggravated assault with a motor vehicle; Theft of firearms; Evading arrest with a motor vehicle.
The two other suspects are minors and will be processed through a different judicial system.
While in court, prosecutors noted that Mondragon is not a U.S. citizen and currently has an ICE hold.
“The ICE detainer does add an extra component to his process,” Criminal Defense & Immigration Attorney Robert Jimenez said.
The judge ordered Mondragon to be held without bond on the aggravated assault charges, with prosecutors arguing he poses a danger to the community and could be deported if released.
Jimenez said that the detainer doesn’t mean ICE takes over the case right now.
“That would only kick in once he is no longer authorized to be held by state custody,” Jimenez said.
Dennis Farris, a retired Austin police officer and current president of the Austin Police Retired Officers’ Association, spoke with Fox News and blasted the leftist city council for “stripping police of key tools” before the rampage.
“At some point, the [police department], and some of the [police departments] started connecting the dots, right?” Farris told Fox News Digital. “And it took a little while longer because the Austin Police Department is really been handcuffed by its own city council from using technology that could help in stuff like this. Facial recognition technology, license plate readers, you know, specifically the one that comes to mind with everybody is Flock.”
Austin used to have a contract with Flock Safety for license plate reading technology until last year, when Farris says left-wing members of the council along with local activists succeeded in campaigning for its removal.
*******
“At the end of that one-year trial period, the activists decided they didn’t like [the cameras],” said Farris. “And when I say the activists, I’m talking about the 25 or 30 people that are always at city council, complaining about anything the police department does, and the activists on the council, and we have very much so an activist council.”
The post Revealed: One of the Austin Shooting Spree Suspects is an Illegal with an ICE Hold appeared first on The Gateway Pundit.
Go to Source
Author: Margaret Flavin